So, the fixed and sanded dust collector sat on my modeling table for months. After Train Fest, I started thinking that I should have some display models for taking to shows that had my parts integrated into them. And the dust collector kept calling my name to build it. Even though I had resigned that I wouldn't start on the furnaces for at least a year or more. And we're back to the dust collector nagging me, sitting there on my table neglected. The modeling examples of my parts won out. I decided I could take it to shows with me until I built the furnaces, and sit in a box in between. So, I build it. Since the dust collector needed to be slightly higher with the pug mill kit installed (even with cutting the little funnel off the bottom of it), I decided to go hog wild and build the entire support structure new. This entailed drawing up column footers as well. I'm told that this style wasn't used pre-WWII. And that's fine, as this dust collector will be used on #3 Furnace (Megan), which would have been built in the '50's. Whereas #1 and #2 Furnaces (Martha and Wendy) were built in the 1920's. It will show the growth in the mill with the economic boom following WWII.
Once the basic superstructure was done, I mounted the pug mill kit.
I want to point out these Tichy Rivet Plates are something I didn't know Tichy made. I discovered them in their well thought out display at Train Fest. I had to make 8 of these small ones for the Benzol Plant. I spent probably an hour making 8 of them all the same. And even then, no rivet detail. These are $3.50 for 60 of them!! I'll never make these again. And there are other sizes. the small and medium ones are great for these X braces, that are all over a mill and heavy industry structures. I don't think it takes more than about 10 minutes or so, maybe less, to make one X now.
Next came the caged ladder, again from Tichy, and the railings.
I added a Water Control Cabinet that I also product. I'm not sure you'd need this for something as simple as a pug mill, but I added it anyway. It's a nice detail. All I have to add now is a section of rail, the hose from the bottom of the pug mill to fill rail cars, and the water line and it's ready for paint. The whole project was about 4 or 5 evenings of work at 2 hours an evening average. And fun to do.